DRC, 22 May 2026 - The World Health Organization (WHO) has urged countries across Africa and beyond to strengthen Ebola surveillance, warning that the fast-growing outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda is unfolding in one of the “most challenging operational environments possible”.
In new emergency recommendations issued on Friday, WHO said the outbreak caused by the rare Bundibugyo strain of Ebola now poses a major international public health threat, even as no approved vaccine or treatment currently exists for the virus.
The UN health agency declared the outbreak a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) on May 17 after cases spread from eastern DRC into neighbouring Uganda.
Unlike previous Ebola outbreaks, health officials say the Bundibugyo strain presents a tougher challenge because existing Ebola vaccines do not work against it.
“While candidate therapeutics are considered for clinical trials and work is ongoing to fast-track candidate vaccines evaluation, the control of the epidemic relies on scaling-up public health interventions,” WHO stated.
The agency warned that controlling the outbreak will depend heavily on rapid detection, community trust and coordinated border surveillance rather than medicine alone.
WHO described the situation in eastern DRC as “Very high” risk, while Uganda was classified as “High” risk.
Uganda has so far reported two confirmed cases linked to infections traced back to affected areas in the DRC, although no onward transmission has yet been recorded there.
The health agency is now calling on countries sharing borders with affected regions to urgently activate emergency response systems, increase testing capacity and prepare rapid response teams.
WHO also advised governments to strengthen screening at airports, ports and land border crossings without shutting down travel routes.
“At the time these temporary recommendations are issued, neither the suspension of flights… nor denial of entry to travellers and conveyances arriving from those States Parties, are recommended,” the agency stated.
Instead, countries have been advised to intensify traveller screening, monitor unexplained fevers and quickly isolate suspected cases.
WHO warned that weak public trust could undermine response efforts if communities feel targeted or punished during containment operations.
More from Kenya
“If we use coercive measures and the population does not agree, we will see bodies disappear,” WHO officials had earlier warned during briefings on the outbreak.
To counter misinformation and fear, the organisation is pushing governments to work closely with churches, traditional healers, local leaders and community health workers.
WHO said safe burials, contact tracing and early isolation remain among the most effective tools available.
The organisation also raised concern over the humanitarian situation in eastern Congo, where insecurity, displacement and fragile healthcare systems are complicating emergency operations.
The agency urged countries to establish emergency coordination centres under direct government authority while ensuring health workers receive adequate protective equipment and psychosocial support.
Health facilities have also been advised to strengthen infection prevention systems and maintain essential services such as maternal healthcare and malaria treatment during the outbreak.
WHO further called for faster international cooperation on research into possible vaccines and treatments for the Bundibugyo strain.
“Implement ethically approved, scientifically robust clinical trials to advance the development and use of candidate therapeutics,” the agency recommended.
Countries worldwide have now been advised to prepare for possible imported cases by training healthcare workers, identifying isolation centres and improving coordination with airports and transport operators.
The organisation stressed that all response measures must respect “the dignity, human rights and fundamental freedoms of persons”.
WHO will require countries to submit quarterly reports detailing how they are implementing the temporary emergency measures as the outbreak continues to evolve

