Kenya , May 22,2026 - Kenya has heightened Ebola surveillance at airports and border points after three travellers arriving from the Democratic Republic of Congo triggered a health alert before later testing negative for the deadly virus.
The government on Friday moved to calm public fears, saying the country remains Ebola-free despite increased regional concern following outbreaks in neighbouring countries.
Health Cabinet Secretary Aden Duale said the suspected cases were quickly isolated and tested as part of Kenya’s strengthened disease monitoring system.
“I wish to reassure Kenyans that as of 21st May 2026, Kenya has not reported any confirmed case of Ebola Virus Disease,” Duale said.
According to the Ministry of Health, the three travellers had shown symptoms similar to other illnesses after arriving from the DRC, prompting emergency response teams to intervene.
“Three travellers were isolated and tested for Ebola Virus Disease, and all results returned negative. Four contacts who accompanied them were also tested and found negative,” Duale confirmed.
The incident has nonetheless pushed authorities to tighten screening measures at major entry points as fears grow over the spread of the virus within the region.
The Ministry revealed that more than 42,000 travellers have already undergone screening across airports, border crossings and other high-risk entry points.
“As of 21 May 2026, a total of 42,447 travellers had been screened, including 2,965 within the last 24 hours alone,” the ministry stated.
Unlike during the Covid-19 pandemic, Kenya says it will not introduce blanket travel restrictions or mandatory quarantines.
Instead, the government is relying on targeted screening and rapid response systems.
“We are not imposing a blanket quarantine for travellers or truck drivers. Instead, we are applying targeted screening and continuous monitoring in line with international health regulations,” Duale said.
More from Kenya
Behind the scenes, emergency preparedness teams have already been activated across the country.
The Ministry said Public Health Emergency Operations Centres and the national Incident Management System are now coordinating surveillance, testing and rapid response measures with county governments and international partners.
“We have placed rapid response teams on standby and strengthened coordination with WHO, Africa CDC and county governments to ensure any suspected case is managed immediately,” Duale added.
Kenya has also strengthened laboratory testing capacity, with four specialised facilities prepared to handle suspected Ebola samples.
They include KEMRI laboratories in Nairobi and Kisumu, the National Public Health Laboratory and a mobile testing unit that can be deployed quickly to outbreak zones.
The Health Ministry said the country has identified 22 counties considered high-risk due to cross-border movement and has already trained more than 880 healthcare workers on Ebola detection and emergency response procedures.
Officials are now urging Kenyans to remain alert while avoiding panic.
“Members of the public should remain alert but not panic. Early reporting and rapid response remain our strongest defence,” Duale said.
The government maintained that Kenya remains safe for travel, tourism and business, although citizens have been advised to avoid non-essential travel to affected areas until the regional outbreak is fully contained.

