Baidoa, 17 August 2026 Somali Member of Parliament Sadiq Abdullahi Abdi has disputed the government’s account of Monday’s attack on Baidoa, claiming the fighters were not Al Shabab but residents previously forced out of the city who are now “fighting for what they consider their rights.”
“Baidoa belongs to its people. Those who truly belong there will remain in the city,” Abdi said.
The MP also accused President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud of bearing responsibility for the violence, saying the federal government had imposed leadership that was not accepted by the local population.
“President Hassan Sheikh may be able to keep Aden Madobe as Speaker of Parliament, but he cannot keep him in Baidoa,” he said.
Related articles
Abdi argued that a previous political process held in Baidoa laid the groundwork for the current conflict, and warned that similar clashes could continue while the dispute over the local administration remains unresolved.
The fighting broke out early Monday between government forces and opposing armed fighters.
However, Somalia’s Ministry of Defence said in a statement that the attack was carried out by Al Shabab militants and that government forces had successfully repelled the assault.