Baidoa, 18 August 2026 – Former South West State President Abdiaziz Laftagareen has claimed that forces loyal to him carried out Monday’s attack in Baidoa, which the Federal Government says left nearly 30 fighters dead and several others captured.
In a written statement, Laftagareen described the Aug. 17 operation as aimed at “ensuring security, restoring stability and maintaining law and order.”
The Federal Government gave a different account. Ministry of Defence spokesperson Mohamed Abdullahi Shillaawe said the attack began with two vehicle-borne explosives intended to disrupt security in the city.
He said Somali National Army forces repelled the assault, killing nearly 30 fighters, capturing several others and seizing weapons and vehicles.
More from Somalia
The government also announced that forces loyal to Laftagareen would now be treated the same as Al-Shabaab, saying evidence from the battlefield showed cooperation between the two sides.
Laftagareen has not been in Somalia since leaving the country earlier this year following a falling out with President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud.
Baidoa was calm on Tuesday morning. Movement of people and vehicles had returned to normal and businesses reopened. Civilians injured in the fighting have been admitted to hospitals in the city. There has been no independent confirmation of casualty figures from either side.