Kenya, May 22, 2026 - The World Health Organisation has dispatched vital medical supplies from its key regional facilities to curb the Ebola virus outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
In a statement on Thursday, the UN agency stated that the 11.5 tonnes of supplies had been dispatched from its facilities in Kinshasa and other regional centres in Nairobi and Dakar.
The supplies include personal protective equipment, medical kits, tents, and water, sanitation, and hygiene supplies, which will be utilised for preventing infections and effectively managing cases.
WHO has noted that the United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO) will provide the necessary air support to ensure the urgent delivery of the cargo.
“Collaboration with MONUSCO has been crucial in ensuring a rapid response. Their ability to provide air support significantly strengthens our logistical capabilities, enabling us to respond effectively to the needs of communities,” said Adama Thiam, Head of Regional Emergency Operations and Logistics at WHO Africa.
The agency has assured that additional experts and frontline responders will be deployed to strengthen key measures such as disease surveillance for early detection, clinical care, infection prevention and control, and community engagement.
Ebola virus disease (EVD) is a rare but severe, often fatal illness in humans caused by Orthoebolaviruses and is transmitted via close contact with infected animals or bodily fluids from infected people.]
WHO has clarified that the outbreak, which has already been declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), is caused by the Ebola Bundibugyo virus, currently has no licensed vaccines or specific treatment, unlike classical Ebola Virus disease.
As of May 18, the ministry has confirmed that over 336 suspected cases are under investigation in DRC, and 87 deaths, including two in Uganda, have been reported. 13 laboratory confirmed cases have been identified in DRC and Uganda.
Kenya’s Ministry of Health has confirmed that no recorded cases have been confirmed in the country, and the government will intensify preparedness measures, including an online passenger surveillance system, enhanced surveillance at airports and other entry points, and population mobility mapping.
In a statement, Health CS Aen Duale said that the country has enhanced laboratory preparedness and diagnostic capacity through designated testing facilities at KEMRI, the National Public Health Laboratory, and other mobile laboratory platforms.
The ministry is also mapping ambulance capacity in high-risk counties with support from the Kenya Red Cross Society and strengthening engagement with private hospitals to improve early detection, referral, and reporting systems.
Members of the public have been encouraged to remain vigilant and maintain proper hygiene, avoiding contact with bodily fluids of sick persons, and seeking immediate medical attention if they develop symptoms associated with Ebola, especially after recent travel to affected areas.
More from Kenya

