Kenya, 17 August 2026 - Six miners remain trapped underground after a gold mine collapsed in Naduat, Nakalale Ward, Turkana County, with rescue teams yet to establish whether they are alive.
The mining pit collapsed on Friday, August 14, 2026, trapping the workers beneath the rubble. By Monday, rescue efforts were still underway, with their condition remaining unknown.
The Kenya Red Cross said rescue teams had continued working through the weekend as excavators and local miners cleared debris from the collapsed section.
Local miners familiar with the underground workings have been assisting the rescue teams to navigate the site and identify possible access points to the trapped workers.
A joint team comprising security officers, the area chief, Turkana County officials and Kenya Red Cross personnel visited the site on Sunday as efforts to reach the miners continued.
Excavators have also been deployed to clear the collapsed material and create access to the underground section.
However, the unstable terrain has complicated the operation, with rescuers having to balance the urgency of reaching the trapped miners against the risk of further collapse.
A senior security official has meanwhile urged the public to disregard unverified reports circulating on social media about the fate of the miners.
As of Sunday evening, no survivors or bodies had been recovered, and authorities said it was too early to determine whether the six miners were alive or dead.
The incident has once again placed attention on the dangers facing artisanal miners in parts of northern Kenya, where mining operations can take place in remote locations with limited access to specialised equipment and emergency response services.
The latest collapse is particularly significant because Naduat has experienced a similar tragedy before.
In November 2024, another gold mine in the area collapsed while miners were underground. Two miners were confirmed dead, while others were trapped, prompting a rescue operation involving local residents, security officers and the Kenya Red Cross. One survivor had to have his arm amputated after becoming trapped under a rock.
The 2024 incident also raised questions about compliance with mining regulations.
More from Kenya
The mine had previously been closed after authorities raised concerns over blasting activities, safety standards and compliance with the Mining Act. The closure followed complaints from members of the Naduat community over mining operations at the site.
The recurrence of a major collapse in the same mining area has consequently renewed concerns about the safety conditions under which artisanal miners operate.
The Naduat collapse comes amid continuing concerns over the regulation and environmental impact of artisanal mining in western and northern Kenya.
In June 2025, the National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) ordered the suspension of mining activities at more than 200 gold mining sites in the Kambi Karai and Lami Nyeusi areas along the River Turkwel after finding that the sites were operating without Environmental Impact Assessment licences.
NEMA said the mining activities had left deep holes and polluted water along the river, making the water unsuitable for domestic use.
The authority said mining operations would only be allowed to resume after affected sites met environmental assessment and audit requirements, including having clear decommissioning plans.
The safety challenge is therefore occurring alongside concerns about how mining activities affect surrounding communities and the environment.
For now, however, the immediate priority at Naduat remains the six miners still underground.
Rescue teams are continuing to clear the collapsed section while attempting to establish a safe route to where the workers are believed to be trapped.
The fate of the six miners remains unknown as the rescue operation enters its fourth day.
Six Miners Trapped Underground After Gold Mine Collapses in Turkana
The fate of the six miners remains unknown as the rescue operation enters its fourth day.