Kenya, 22 May 2026 - Matatu operators on Friday called off their nationwide strike following high-level talks with President William Ruto at State House, Mombasa.
The Federation of Public Transport announced that all Public Service Vehicles (PSVs) should return to the roads immediately, bringing an end to days of disruption in the transport sector.
Matatu Owners Association President Albert Karakacha, who was among the leaders present, clarified that the strike had been fully called off.
This brings to an end the seven-day window for consultations that had been announced earlier this week by Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen, with serious matters now resolved.
Federation of Public Transport Sector chairman Edwins Mukabana urged investors, drivers, and conductors to resume operations immediately.
“We must save our economy as we provide for our households,” he said, adding that the directive should take immediate effect with all public transport vehicles returning to the roads.
President Ruto commended the transport sector for its resilience and promised that the government would engage insurance providers to review policies in support of vehicle owners.
This comes as the country feels the effects of the global fuel crisis triggered by the closure of the key oil supply route, the Strait of Hormuz.
He also directed that financial institutions, including banks, review credit facilities for transport vehicle owners.
More from Kenya
President Ruto further promised a possible reduction of about Sh10 per litre of diesel in the next fuel price review cycle as part of broader stabilisation measures.
“Our government-to-government deal has saved us. Otherwise, the situation would be worse than it was in 2022 during the fuel crisis. I wish to assure the public that there is no fuel shortage in the country,” he said.
The President urged East African leaders to collaborate on establishing a joint refinery for Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania to cushion the region against external shocks.
As part of the ongoing clean energy push, the government plans to introduce about 3,000 electric vehicles for use by security and other government officials in the Ministry of Interior, with wider adoption to follow.
Ruto also announced that the first 100,000 electric vehicles imported into the country will be exempt from import duty.In a related directive, the President instructed the National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA) to allow the continued use of graffiti art on public service vehicles.
“I understand there were instructions earlier that they should remove all graffiti from their vehicles. I wonder why,” Ruto said, signalling support for the preservation of Kenya’s vibrant matatu culture.

